What is the motivation behind what we do? This post will give you insight into the 'why' we do what we do. If we understand the 'why' then we can get clearer and begin to shape our lives to meet those needs, as long as they are healthy needs supporting our wellbeing, rather than enabling a need that is unhealthy for us. If we can also understand the needs of those around us, we begin to deepen those relationships and support each other in life.
Our human needs are not just about motivation, it's understanding why.
What is your motive for action?
What is it that drives you in your life today, not what your patterns were 10 years ago?
EMOTION IS THE FORCE OF LIFE
It shapes all of our actions and the results we create.
Our minds are very intelligent and we can play this game in our head but what is really driving us?
Effective leaders have the ability to consistently move themselves and others to action because they understand the invisible forces that shape us.
What makes the difference in the quality of our lives? What makes a difference in our performance?
There are two master lessons in life:
- The science of achievement. How to take the invisible and make it visible.
- The art of fulfilment (which is often rarely mastered). It’s an art - it’s about appreciation and contribution. You can only feel so much by yourself.
The real question is….
Why is it that some people who have been given everything spend their life in despair?
Then you meet people that have been through all sorts of psychological, physical abuse, who make a huge impact in the world.
We’re in a mindset that we are our past. Most of society thinks that your biography is your destiny, it is not.
Decision is the ultimate power.
We all have reasons and can logically claim a lack of resources as to why we failed while trying to achieve a goal but these are just excuses.
Emotions can block the ability to be resourceful. When we are resourceful we tap into creativity, fun, love, caring, determination, curiosity, passion and resolve.
If we get the right emotion we can do anything.
With the right emotion (creativity, fun, love, caring, determination, curiosity, passion, playfulness...) you can get through to anyone. It's not about the lack of resources. It's being resourceful. No excuses.
Decisions shape our destiny
There are 3 decisions we are making every moment of our lives.
- What am I going to focus on? When you focus on something you've got to give it a meaning and the meaning produces an emotion.
- What does it mean? Is it the end or the beginning? Am I being punished or rewarded?
- What are you going to do? Emotion then creates what we are going to do, the action.
Different Decisions = Different Life
What decisions have you made in the last 5, 10, 15 years that have changed the direction of quality of your life?
If decision is the force that shapes destiny...
There are two primary patterns: The invisible forces that shape us that we make decisions from
- Our state - In the moment - our "state" - physical and emotional.
- Our conditioning - long term - Our model of the world /Word view: the shaper of Meaning, emotion and action.
The 6 human needs
The first 4 needs are the needs of personality, the last 2 are the needs of the spirit and this is where fulfilment comes.
- Uncertainty / Variety / Surprises you want
- Significance - We all need to feel important
- Connection and love - most people settle for connection because love is too scary. We need it.
- Growth - you must grow. The reason we grow is we have something of value to give.
- Contribute beyond ourselves - the secret to living is giving. It's not about me it's about we.
Life is not about me it's about we
When we experience and receive a heartfelt gift, we get excited to contribute ourselves because we know how much that can help others. Everyone matters and counts.
If we all share the same needs, why do we behave so differently?
- Some needs we value more than others.
- Our models of reality and the world are radically different.
There are over 6,000 words for human emotion in the English language, most people experience only 12. Half disempowering and have empowering. The quality of our lives is the quality of our emotions.
Explore your web. The needs and emotions that are controlling you.
Appreciate what is driving other people, it's the only way the world is going to change.